Saturday, March 31, 2007

Pubcrawls and dropping the ball

Since we last left our hero, leagues started for frisbee. This has resulted in my hamstrings tightening to a degree where I could probably turn coal into diamonds with a leg extension. It has been a blast, though, and I went to the last day of try-outs for Adelaide Karma, a club team that competes at Nationals in Australia. Despite my quite sore state, I was selected as the reserve player for the team, which was apparently weighted by their desire to build the team over three years and me just being here for a semester, not as appealing. None the less, I was quite excited. Olson will also be glad to know that the Lincoln College basketball training has begun, and the captain said he is going to have me start doing plyos so I can be the center (despite him being taller, bigger, stronger).

The Adelaide Fringe Festival, a smorgasboard of music, comedy, and all things unique, has been going on since the beginning of March. Like anything you'll eventually get around to, nearly all of the Americans (and Australians, for that matter) hadn't gone to anything, despite a lunchtime act browsing one day after we missed the Future Music Festival. Well, one of the bands, Neo, had flyers up on campus, and when I checked them this past Tuesday, I realized that their last show was that night, so throwing caution to the wind, I left frisbee a half hour early with another American, showered, called a cab and, grabbing Witz on the way out, proceeded to Thebaurton. Turns out this group was exactly like their posters had looked like--Australian jam band. Show was awesome, and we talked to them afterwards about Bonnaroo and recording shows for distribution. I'd link one of their songs for all to listen, but Filezilla refuses to sftp, so it will have to come later. Last night, we saw the Zooma Zooma Late Show, which was a largely a Louis Prima tribute bad. The singer had the songs down so well that we were convinced that he was American until the between song banter was distinctly Australian. Both the guy who came with me and I really wanted to swing dance, but as we had gotten no girls to come with, it was hard to get anything started. We did find out more about the local scene, though, so that was exciting.

Final interesting bit for this week would be the Engineering Society's pub crawl, which went down on Friday. This crawl tries to take the title of largest pub crawl in the Southern Hemisphere, which may or may not be true, as it tends to draw 1000. The theme this year was Ninja Turtles, which was funny. Basically, people, everywhere. True story. The Lincoln people ditched me part way through, but luckily the frisbee players were there to save me from loneliness. All in all, quite an experience. No Dad, no good beer was involved. Though there was an excellent James Squire Porter at the Neo show.

That's all for now. I guess I should have mentioned that I will not be updating this too regularly as, though I may want to, if I do, it will make Greenleaf look bad. Sorry to everyone, but you guys know how sensitive he is about these things.

Sarcastically yours,
DUI

No comments: